Once again, we will have One Hour Swim National Champion t-shirts available for order. The shirts will be made of a nice wicking material and each participant’s name will be individually listed. To see the shirt and make an order, go to allamericanswim.com, click on “Team Store” and enter NEM1. The shirts should be available for order by March 28th. Wear the shirt with pride – you earned it!
Archive for category Latest News
Congratulations to everyone who participated in the One Hour Swim. You are a national champion! NEM won the national championship for the third year in a row! NEM won the women’s, men’s and combined categories again in 2014. We had 546 participants who swam a total of over 1.9 million yards. We had three individual national champions, twelve swimmers finish in the top three in their age group and 35 swimmers place in the top ten in their age group. Based on the preliminary results, it appears that NEM placed in the top three in 17 of the 21 total national championship relays and we had eight national champion relays. An incredible performance all around!
Many, many thanks to all of the coaches and swimmers who contributed to this year’s herculean effort. We could not have done it without you. You are National Champions for the third year in a row!
Boston University Fitness and Recreation Center is seeking applicants for the position of Head Masters Swim Coach.
BU Masters Swim holds coached workouts six days per week at the Aquatics Center at Boston
University’s Fitness and Recreation Center. The team averages around 70 members of all ages
with a range of abilities including competitive Masters swimmers, triathletes and fitness
swimmers. The team is a workout group within New England Masters swim club and
participation is open to the greater Boston community including, but not limited to, Boston
University students and alumni.
In addition to coaching responsibilities 3-5 days per week, the Head Masters Swim Coach will
act as liaison between the aquatics staff, masters swimmers and other guests and programs at the
pool, as well as be responsible for meet organization. The Head Masters Swim Coach will also
collaborate with swimmers in developing goals, market the team to attract new members,
promote team events and coordinate workouts and team development with the Assistant Masters
Swim Coaches. As a representative of the Boston University Aquatics Center, the Head Masters
Swim Coach must at all times be professional, timely and be able to work as a member of the
Aquatics Center team. Compensation is hourly and commensurate with experience.
• 3 to 5 years swim coaching experience at a competitive swim team level
• A Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field
• CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certification
• Ability to work with a wide range of swimmers in terms of ability and goals
• Detailed orientated administrative, interpersonal, and communication skills
Application review will begin immediately. The deadline to apply is Monday, March 31st. The
anticipated start date is Monday, May 19th. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three
professional references to Michelle Wong, Manager of Aquatics, via email to
Fellow NEM swimmers,
There are several great meets scheduled:
Sun., Feb. 16th – 3rd Annual PHS/WHS Mini-Meet, Salem, NH. Request entries by 2/14, on-deck entries till 1:15 p.m.
Sat. Feb. 22nd – Annual Valentine’s Day Master’s Swim Meet, Keefe Tech HS, Framingham, MA.
Sun. Feb. 23rd- 2nd Annual Breast Swim Meet Ever, Beverly MA to benefit the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.
March 15 and 21-23 – 2014 New England LMSC SCY Championships at Harvard University. Entries are open, go to: http://www.meetresults.com/2014/nelmscscy/
Sat. Apr. 26th – 2014 Worcester Area Masters Invitational, WMI, Worcester, MA – an SCM meet! On-line registration closes 4/16 – https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=2201&smid=5342
NEM SC had nearly 500 entries for the One Hour Swim as of Sat. Entries close today, so register quickly if you completed the swim and had not done so. https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1308&smid=4912
Please don’t forget to renew your USMS registration for 2014. To register go to: http://www.usms.org/reg/register.php
The preliminary USMS SCM Top-Ten is available here. Please review and advise me of any errors or omissions ASAP. Congratulations to the numerous NEM swimmers on the list!
Helen Lin (email@example.com) will be coordinating the 2014 FINA World Championship in Montreal for NEM. Please advise her if you are even thinking about attending, so she can keep you up to date as info becomes available. Entries are now open, will close on June 1st.
Feb. 10th, 2014
Freestyle & Backstroke Technique Clinic with 5-Time Olympian and 12-Time Olympic Medalist Dara Torres
Name of Event: Freestyle & Backstroke Technique Clinic with 5-Time Olympian and 12-Time Olympic Medalist Dara Torres, hosted by Cambridge Masters Swim Club.
CMSC will host a Freestyle & Backstroke technique clinic with Dara Torres on Saturday, 2/1, from 9-11 AM at Harvard University. This is a special opportunity for former World Record holder and current American Record holder Dara Torres to share her knowledge and experiences with us. The clinic will cover: Freestyle and Backstroke Technique. This clinic is for swimmers and triathletes of all ability levels. All are welcome. Must be 18 years old. Get ready for the New England Championships in March and spring and summer racing! Instructors will be composed of 5-Time Olympian Dara Torres, CMSC coaches, Harvard Varsity Coaches, former Olympic Coach Chris Morgan.
Cost: $30 for CMSC members, $45 for non-members. Register online today at: www.cambridgemasters.com
Space is limited:
Date of Event: Saturday, 2/1, 9-11 AM
Event Start Time: 9:00 AM
Event End Time: 11:00 AM
Location of Event: Harvard’s Blodgett Pool, 65 North St. Boston, MA 02134
Event Organizers: for more information contact Cambridge Masters Swim Club Head Coach Abe Rogers: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website: www.cambridgemasters.com
On Sunday, January 19th, SwimRI is running One Hour Postal Swim heats for NEM members at Roger Williams University in Bristol, RI. Check in and warm up start at 8am. Heats start at 9:00, 10:20 & 11:40. 48-swimmer limit (2 per lane x 8 lanes x 3 heats). Informal post-swim social gathering at Aidan’s Irish Pub.
The $12-$18 minimum “donation” will benefit RWU’s Swimming & Diving Team, which is providing counters/timers for the Swim.
Ten open spots remain as of January 7th. To claim one, email email@example.com with your prioritized heat preferences (e.g., 2-1-3) and, if you have not already done so, renew your USMS-NEM membership for 2014 at http://www.usms.org/reg. For more information see http://www.swimri.org.
Boston College masters is looking for a morning coach, Tuesday and Thursday, 6:05-7:05 am for a low-key, congenial group. Next session begins 1/13 and ends 5/1 with a few dates not running. See http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/rec/programs/aquatics/masters.html for details.
Please contact Leonardo Torres
Event Description: Join CMSC and swimmers from around New England to bring in the New Year and raise money for the scholarship fund at Smith College in honor of our late friend and coach Marly Pineda. Swim 100×100 yards or however many you would like. Doors open at 8AM, 100×100 begins at 8:30AM. Intervals typically range from a 1:15-2:00 interval. We will provide water, sports drinks and refreshments, but do not count on CMSC to provide all your nutrition needs. Bring water, snacks, sports drink, energy gels, etc.
$10 minimum donation requested.
Non-CMSC swimmers must present a current USMS card or the drop-in waiver from our website: http://www.teamunify.com//mnecmsch/__doc__/drop_in.pdf (Please fill the waiver out beforehand to save time).
Date of Event: Sunday, December 29th.
Event Start Time: 8AM
Event End Time: 12PM
Location of Event: Harvard University’s Blodgett Pool, 65 North Harvard Street, Boston, MA 02134
Aquatics Manager Paint Rock Pool
Position Description Summer 2014
Paint Rock Pool is a community owned and operated pool in the Turning Mill neighborhood of Lexington, MA. Started in 1961, it still thrives today as a gathering place for families and friends to enjoy swimming and other aquatic activities. It operates from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. An elected Board of Directors oversees its management and operations.
Paint Rock Pool is seeking an Aquatics Manager for the 2014 summer season to manage and oversee the day-to-day operations of the pool. The Aquatics Manager has overall responsibility for ensuring safety at the pool, as well as hiring and managing lifeguards, establishing a swim lesson program, assisting with a pool sponsored swim team, and maintaining the pool facilities in accordance with established standards and practices.
The responsibilities of the Aquatics Manager include:
Managerial and Administrative
• Manage and oversee lifeguards: hire and maintain staff of lifeguards to provide safe conditions at all times; direct lifeguards to perform additional tasks as required, such as maintaining facility and property cleanliness; train staff on pool operating
procedures; manage lifeguard schedules, monitor time sheets and prepare payroll reports.
• Manage swim lessons: establish lesson program and sign-up process; identify and hire qualified swim instructors; continuously assess and improve quality of lessons.
• Communicate regularly with Pool Board President or other designated Board representative about ongoing pool operations, member issues, etc.
• Manage pool operations within operating budget established by the Pool Board.
• Prepare end-of-season report for the Pool Board.
• Instill culture of safety with lifeguards as well as with pool members and guests; enforce pool rules and regulations.
• Conduct swim lessons.
• Coordinate with swim team coaches: assist with swim team practices and swim meets;
prepare the pool for practices and swim meets.
• Administer First Aid, CPR, emergency and other safety procedures, as required. Maintain stock of first aid supplies.
• Organize and prepare the facility for occasional fun events such as swim competitions, games, pool parties and other special events.
• Prepare pool for opening and closing each season using pool’s maintenance companies. Arrange for and secure necessary permits from Town of Lexington, including health and building inspections prior to pool opening in May. The Pool Board will provide all necessary contacts and calendar of events.
• Oversee daily maintenance of the pool facilities and property; make recommendations for repairs and capital improvement expenditures and communicate with the designated Pool Board representative regarding issues and concerns, as well as progress and completion of any improvements.
• Maintain and replenish pool supplies, including pool chemicals and bathhouse supplies (soap, paper goods, etc.).
• Coordinate regularly with pool’s Certified Pool Operator (CPO) regarding pool operations.
• Arrange and oversee minor repairs to the pool facilities using pool’s authorized service
• Minimum two years managerial experience.
• Prior experience with pools facilities and aquatics, such as lifeguarding, pool
management, or swim instruction or competition.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience.
• Love of both swimming and teaching young children.
• Excellent leadership and communications skills.
• Current certification in American Red Cross CPR and First Aid for the Professional Rescuer or American Heart Association Heart saver CPR.
• Swim America Program Director certification (American Swim Coaches Association) or Water Safety Instructor (American Red Cross).
• Candidate must undergo a Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check.
• Competitive salary commensurate with certifications and experience. To apply, please submit your resume to: PRPSearch@gmail.com